.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Artist Date - Taking a Peek at Nature










This morning I woke with great purpose in mind... I needed to find my 'happy place'! I asked hubbub how his day looked to which he replied, "I'm spending it with you!" (bonus). Picking up the phone I asked my girlfriend if I could borrow her Digital SLR and sent hubbub to pick it up. The weather looking somewhat questionable, I dressed in capris a t-shirt and long sweater and we set off for our adventure by vehicle. Twenty minutes later we were at our destination "Inglewood Bird Sanctuary". It is inconceivable to me that we have never been to this beautiful place! Living in this city almost eight years and not knowing what this 'Inglewood Bird Sanctuary' really was. I plan to make this a regular spot on my artist dates!
Working our way through serene paths we craned our necks up and down as we scanned tall trees for bird life (not exactly knowing what we were doing). Hands softly joined together by a couple of fingers, enjoying the peace we were encountering, wondering why we do not make more time like this to do what we were doing...
Ahead of us a gentleman pointing his gigantic lens to the top of rather tall tree my heart started to patter the closer we got... what was he so consumed with? Looking high above us I said to hubbub, "It's a bird, it's a large bird!!!", seeing only the bottom half of its body. Maneuvering this way and that to peer through the leaves the full picture came into view and what it beheld filled me with great joy! Not only one, but two gorgeous bald headed eagles perched high above us sitting regally beside one another. I zoomed in with girlfriends camera and was able to capture these lovelies in what seemed like such a miracle-moment for me. 'Thank you God for giving me this' I gently spoke. This was most certainly my 'Happy Place'.
Reluctant to leave the eagles, but knowing there was much more to see in this sanctuary I headed forward through the paths with hubbub pulling me away step by tiny step from my prized possessions (but I did have beautiful photos). With only the sound of my flip flops breaking through the silence we walked through the trees smelling the fresh crisp air, I chided myself for all the busyness I have placed into my life... for not taking more time to 'smell the fresh crisp air!' Why do we do that? We create so many things in this life that take us away from peace, joy and love... seriously, we do it to ourselves! Bad Kelly! Bad Kelly!
Feeling much more aware of what I wanted out of life... (more of this!) I thought I spotted another large bird on a tree across the river. I wasn't sure at first that it was even a bird due to its stealth-like stillness... I zoomed in and to my amazement I was met with a bird I had never seen wild before - a beautiful blue heron. I would have never thought to look high in a tree for this bird ~ I had always imagined it the shore of a river, but there it was in all its glory.
The entire time spent seeking my 'Happy Place' trying to take a peek at nature, and upon loading my photo's I realized nature was taking a peek at me!
Enjoy the photos, I hope they bring you as much joy as they brought me.
Happy Creating everyone!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Tammy Freiborg said...

Stunning photos of beautiful birds!! What a peaceful place to stroll!

Jennifer Maroney said...

Beautiful Photos Kelly! Very nice! And you are totally right about 'creating' busyness in our lives!

ale said...

what a beautifull program!! camera and nature!!!the photos are very very nice!!!gracias!!for sharing this moment!!!and happy weekend!!!!!

teri said...

It looks like nature was collaborating with you on your artist's date! How wonderful to see that you took "your child" on this artist's date. :-) xo-teri-souljournaling

Mary S. Hunt said...

awesome pictures
the eagle is great!!!

Gary said...

Beautil day, beautiful story and great photos. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! What an amazing Artist Date! Thank you for sharing with us!

Timaree said...

Wow. I never have my camera handy when the eagles fly right over my head here at our house and they are always too far away for a good shot otherwise even with my zoom. These are great.